Wednesday, October 14, 2009

"Goodbye": A short story with a tragic ending

*Short Intro*: There is a song from the band From Autumn To Ashes called 'Short Stories with Tragic Endings'. That song always made me want to write a collection of very 'short stories with tragic endings' and so I did. Here is one of them. It's not perfect, but here it is.

"Goodbye"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
He shoved me to the ground. I struggled to get back on my feet, but he gripped my shoulder and pushed me back down. I felt the cool steel of his gun being pushed against my temple. All in an instant, I remembered that day a month or so ago when he had shouted at me;
"You had better watch you back! Some day you're gonna get it!" I had rolled my eyes and turned my back on Jarred Williams that day. Jarred was the leader of the gang that dominated my neighborhood. He and all his cronies were black. My family were Mexicans. I was never afraid of Jarred at all. I knew he had done some crazy things, but I never believed he would really hurt me. I thought that all of his tough talk was just to cover up how much he really liked me. I just took his threats in stride and didn't worry about them. My life was hard enough anyway. Perhaps I had been wrong.
I looked at him to see if he really meant to do it. Where I had always thought I saw veiled attraction, there was now only anger and hatred. He had given in to the demands of his gang and now, I would die. In a moment, I realized that if he had chosen his gang over me, I didn't want to live anyway. I smiled at him, then closed my eyes. The last thing I heard was his normally smooth voice, now gravelly with fear and rage whisper, "Goodbye." His finger squeezed on the trigger, and it was all over.

2 comments:

  1. Another great story! I'm so glad you're posting these. This one speaks to me in a specific emotional way and I'm really happy I had the chance to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how concise this is, I need to work on that in my writing I think.

    ReplyDelete