Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Tales from the Depot

I work the returns desk at the Home Depot. Every customer that returns something has their own sob story. Usually, we don't care to hear why they are returning something. If they have a receipt, we take it back, no problem and no explanation needed. We only start asking questions if something is broken, or there's no receipt, or something just doesn't "feel" right.
Anyway, today I had a customer come in to return two new and unopened tools. These tools are BRAND NEW (as in, they've only been invented recently and released for sale in the past few months.) I guessed these tools had been meant as Christmas gifts. I think both tools are actually really cool, so I was curious to find out why she might be returning them, so I ventured to ask, "We're these going to be Christmas gifts and you just don't want them now?"
She answered, "Yes, they were for Christmas, but I found out my husband is cheating on me, so fuck him! His Christmas present is a divorce!"
Slightly taken aback by such an answer, I replied, "Oh, wow. I'm sorry to hear that."
Then, just as we completed the transaction, she added, "what's worse, it wasn't a woman he was cheating on me with either!" And then she left.
Of all the crazy stories I've heard while working the returns desk, this one is the craziest I've heard, and yet, I beleive this story more than most of the others I've been told.

No comments:

Post a Comment