Thursday, June 17, 2010

The Longest Lasting Birthday Gift

*Day 9* I'm blogging everyday till VidCon! What is VidCon? Check it out at www.VidCon2010.com

Today is my 25th birthday. So I figured I should write about something birthday-related today. At first I thought I would talk about the best birthday I've ever had. Only, I don't think I've actually had "the best birthday" yet. (I'm only 25, I'm pretty sure I have a lot more birthdays to go). See, I've had one or two awesome birthday parties in the past, but nothing that I would call "the best". Today has been a pretty fantastic day, and up till now, this has been one of my favorite birthdays of my life so far. Only, I don't feel that I can call this "the best" birthday because, even though all of my friends have wished me a happy birthday, and some of them even made me an awesome video on youtube, none of my friends are actually here to celebrate with me.

Now, please don't think that I am complaining. I have had a wonderfully awesometastic day and my friends have made me intensly happy with their tweets and facebook comments and videos. I'm just saying, that I think that I have yet to have "the best birthday ever". Someday, I will get to celebrate my birthday with my friends and look forward to that being my best birthday ever.

So, instead, I thought I would tell you about the best birthday present I ever received. At first I didn't even know the answer to this topic. When I started to think back to all of the gifts I've been given over the years, it only took a few seconds to remember the first diary I ever received. When I turned 8 years old, my friend Mike gave me a diary. I didn't particularly want a diary, and I wasn't exactly bursting with happiness about the diary I got when I was 8. However, I feel that I must admit, that diary was probably the best birthday gift I ever received. I say so, because I have been diligently chronicling my life in diaries ever since.

When my friend gave me that diary, he gave me more than a book with blank pages inside. He gave me a key to a habit that would allow me to remember my life. It's amazing that I still have that diary from my 8th birthday. So here I am, 17 years older, and I can still read through those pages and remember who I was way back then. That is an amazing and lasting gift. I have recieved many brilliant presents in my life, but I think that this gift of being able to remember who I was at any age since I was 8 years old is truely the best birthday gift I've ever been given.

What about you? Do you have a favorite birthday gift? Leave a comment and let me know. Anyway, goodbye 'till tomorrow. :-)

1 comment:

  1. My friends buying me a trip to Disneyland was pretty awesome, as was my ceiling painted to match the night sky on the day I was born. Oh the Buffy box set! The entire Buffy box set! It isn't that sentimental but is freakin' awesome.

    ReplyDelete